Potato Leek Soup
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 6 sprigs of fresh rosemary (2 tsp dried)
- 4 sprigs fresh flat leaf parsley
- 1 tsp whole black peppercorns
- 3 Tbs olive oil
- 4 Tbs unsalted butter
- 4 stalks of celery, cut into 1/4 inch dice
- 6 leeks, white parts only, washed well, thinly sliced
- 4 shallots diced
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2.5 lbs potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 8 C chicken stock
- 1 C milk
- 1/2 C heavy cream
- salt & pepper
1. Make a bouquet garni: Wrap bay leaves, rosemary parsley and peppercorns in a piece of cheese cloth. Tie with a piece of kitchen twine and set aside.
2. Heat olive oil and butter in a medium stockpot. Add celery, leeks, shallots and garlic. Cook on medium low heat until very soft, about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Do not brown. Add potatoes, stock and reserved bouquet garni. Bring mixture a to a boil and then reduce to a gentle simmer. Cook until potatoes are very tender, about 40 minutes. Remove bouquet garni and discard.
3. Use immersion blender to blend into desired blend of chunkiness and thickness. Slowly stir in milk and cream and season with salt and pepper. Serve hot.
Yields 6-8 Servings