Sweet Potato Latkes
- 3 scallions, white and light-green parts only, thinly sliced
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes (about 3 large), peeled and grated
- 1 1/2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes (about 3 medium), peeled and grated
- Peanut oil, for frying
- Sour cream and applesauce, for serving
In a large bowl, combine scallions and eggs. Add flour, salt, ginger, cardamom, and pepper, and stir until incorporated. Add both kinds of potatoes, and toss until combined and evenly coated.
Fill a large skillet with about 1/2 inch oil. Place over medium heat until oil is almost smoking. (To test, drop a small bit of batter into the skillet; it should sizzle upon contact.)
Working in batches so as not to crowd skillet, carefully spoon about 2 tablespoons batter into oil for each latke. Lightly tamp down to flatten. Cook, turning once, until golden on each side, 2 to 3 minutes. Using a slotted spatula, transfer to a paper-towel-lined wire rack to drain. Repeat with remaining batter. Serve immediately with sour cream and applesauce.
(From Martha Stewart Living)
Feel free to substitute onions for the scallions and any potato for the Yukon Gold. Change up the spices to your liking. My favorite oil to fry with is coconut oil.